Drew Barrymore Defends Her Show’s Return Amid WGA Strike: I ‘Take Full Responsibility’
Drew Barrymore is explaining why she made the controversial decision to bring back her talk show amid the ongoing writers’ strike. The “Charlie’s Angels” star announced earlier this week that “The Drew Barrymore Show” will return for its fourth season on Sept. 18. Following the announcement, the actress was highly criticized for returning amid the Writers Guild of America strike, which has now lasted for several months. But on Friday, she responded to that criticism in a heartfelt four-minute video on Instagram. “I believe there is nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it ok. I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn’t a PR protected situation, and I would just take full responsibility for my actions,” Drew said. The “Santa Clarita Diet” star also directly addressed why she decided to bring back the show. “I wanted to do this because, as I said, this is bigger than me and there are other people’s jobs on the line and since launching live in a pandemic, I just wanted to make a show that was there for people in sensitive times,” she said.